
"The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa"
Mother Teresa is one of my favourite modern saint subject. I do admire her strength in giving Unselfish service to humanity. Her Humility excelled far beyond her grave.
I have a personal story to share not for bragging but something for me to look back when one day my eyes will grow dim. I haven't recorded this anywhere, so I'll take the opportunity in doing so today.
Part of being a parent is my duty to teach my children how to be compassionate. One Sunday off work (I worked Sundays), I took my two girls to a random outing. We went for a bus ride to the city from Randwick and stopped at the Circular Quay.
Because McDonald's was always my girls' favourite check point, I allowed them to order anything they liked. They were bit considerate and would normally asked me if I could afford. I told them, "it's your call, get anything you want." And they did. They also prodded me to order for myself. Not really too keen, but I gave in.
We left McDonald to find someplace where we could enjoy our Mac Meal. So we went back up to the Circular Quay Railway Station to catch a train that would take us anywhere. We were sitting down the bench waiting for the train, when one family of a young father and three boys rushed in and the man jestingly asked, "where's ours?"
My girls were looking puzzled at the behaviour of the man.
Then we saw his youngest boy crying, obviously looking hungry. I could not stand watching him crying. He must terribly be feeling famished. I did not waste my time, I instinctively offered my bag of McDonald to the boy. He was shy and hesitated but his father told him to take it. The train arrived and we got in.
The girls said, "Oh, Mom, that was very nice of you to give your food to the boy." Then I noticed that I had not given the drink. But it was too late. I wished I thought about the drink as well. So needless to say, my girls shared me their Mackies. And I was touched the more.
It is my hope one day, my girls will do the same thing. I experienced hardship in life, so it's easy for me to empathise a situation like we encountered at the Circular Quay. The act there was more about giving love than giving food to a hungry child.
"It is not how much you do, but how much Love you put into the doing that matters".— Mother TeresaThis quote is actually a repost from my April 24th entry taken from my favourite Inspiration Line dot com. My late mother was the very first person in my life who introduced me to Mother Teresa's works and teachings though her (my mother) religious affiliation was different from hers(Mother Teresa). That only goes to show how much Mother Teresa had impacted the world at large.
Many years later, little would I have had known that I would be involved with Mother Teresa's work in Orange, NSW through her disciples (Sisters of Charity) in a small way, one way or another. I did not hesitate extending support to their cause. It was a very memorable and enjoyable experience with those cute nuns having their friendship and even great help.
Though they knew that I am not one of them in their "religion", our spiritual goal was in harmony with one another. Our difference in religion was not a hindrance to forge together our common duty towards fellowmen. And it was regarded as a humbling, profound and rewarding experience for me to be of service to others. I miss them so much.
More Quotes of Mother Teresa
"God speaks in the silence of the heart. Listening is the beginning of prayer." ~Mother Teresa
"I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbor. Do you know your next door neighbor?" ~Mother Teresa